Tuesday, June 26, 2012

First Day of Work at La Roca

Today was amazing.  We feel so at home at La Roca - we have already invested our hearts so deeply in this ministry!  We left early this morning to head to the school for the day.  When we got there, the kids were so excited to see us.  One of the classroom doors would not open - so they sent one of the oldest students up on the roof to open it up and climb down into the classroom.  It was so funny - Aben looked at me and said, "Part of what we teach them is how to break in somewhere" ... we were cracking up!

Josue on the roof - trying to get in!

View from room - putting roof back together
We started our day after getting the door open.  This week, the PreK teacher is out sick so I will spending the week going between the PreK class and the Kindergarten class. I started this morning with the Kindergarten class.  The other teacher was with the PreK students during this time ... I started off by introducing myself and telling them a little about me.

Showing them pictures of our doggies :)

After introducing myself, I taught them how to say, "My name is __" and tell me their names.  They were so excited to tell me their names, that they were saying all FOUR of their names!  I finally, with Roberta's help, got them to understand that I just wanted to know their first name.  It was too cute!

Teaching them to introduce themselves
I had planned to share with them the ABC song and start off with the alphabet.  Once I started with them, I realized that they really do not have their Spanish ABCs down yet - and I didn't want to confuse them.  So I started off today with numbers!  They were so excited to learn their numbers - it was so fun! 

We spent about an hour learning the numbers 1-5 and then it was time for snack.  They all bring a little drink and small snack with them to eat around 9am each morning.  They got into their backpacks - and got their snacks out.  One by one, they all started handing me parts of their food - a chip, a cookie, half of their sandwich, their juices, etc.  It was the most heartfelt moment that I have had on this trip.  These kids come from nothing - and yet they wanted to share their best with me!

Giving me their food - I was on the verge of bawling!

The kids started to eat - and Roberta and I realized that one of the little guys did not have a snack - only a drink.  The kids heard Roberta ask him about his food - and they all started sharing their food with him!  I can not beleive the hearts of these children - they have nothing ... and they are willing - at any moment for any person - to give up what little that they have!

Sharing their food with their friend
He was a happy boy :)
After snack, it was time for recess.  While I taught, shared snack, and played with my kids ... Daniel worked hard on sanding down the kitchen building.  It started off just being him and another guy that came to help today (for a wage of around $5/day). 


Kitchen/Bathroom building

We finished up recess and I switched to the PreK room.  There were fewer students in this room - from ages 3-5.  Once I introduced myself in the PreK room, I started to teach them how to introduce themselves ... I looked out the window and saw the most amazing thing. 

My view from the window
Since the PreK/Kindergarteners had finished with recess, it was time for the leveled classes (grades 1-6) to have their recess.  ** Remember - that even though I am saying grades 1-6, most of these kids range from 9-12 years old. 

Daniel came over to the window and said, "Do you see this?  They wanted to help me during their recess to finish the kitchen!"  These kids were SO happy and excited to be able to help Daniel - it was amazing.  They wanted to spend their free time helping - these kids are truly unbelievable. 

Kids were so excited to help!
finishing up the bathroom
She covered her face - it was too cute :)
I spent about 1 1/2 hours with the PreK kids - and it was so fun!  They were so excited to learn their numbers ... and we had a great time!  I even taught them to "kiss their brain" ... something that my first graders do all of the time when they get something right!  They were saying, "Yo soy muy inteligente" (I am very smart) and kissing their brains!  It was the cutest thing EVER!

Teaching them numbers in English
Gabriella, Amy & Ana
Singing and Clapping
This is a video of sweet Amy - she is quickly becoming my favorite - SHHH :)  The video got cut off some in the beginning - but this is her kissing her brain :)

After our lesson, it was time for them to head home for the day.  They all grab their things (if they brought anything with them) and line up together to head to the gate.  They look like little ducklings in a row - it's precious!  While the kids were lining up and leaving, the guy that was helping Daniel today was heading out on his bike.  Of course, Daniel asked to ride it - and he hopped right off for him to ride.  When the kids saw Daniel on the bike, they went crazy and chased him down to the gate!  It was so cute to see them get so excited!

lined up to go home

He hopped right on!

Chasing Daniel down the path :)
We had a great first day of work - and we can't wait to get a full day of work in tomorrow!

Pray that the weather allows us to complete the first coat of paint on the kitchen building tomorrow.

Pray for me - I will have all of the PreK and Kindergarten students together tomorrow.  (The other teacher will not be their to switch with me... so it should be very interesting :) 

Pray that we will continue to be a light in the lives of these children and others that we encounter at La Roca.  We are excited - tomorrow is our first Wednesday night service at La Roca! :)









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! How exciting to read about your weekend and first few days at the Rock! We will be praying for you as you teach the children and Daniel as he works on the kitchen and the building! Love the story about "kissing their brains!" I know the children already love you just like ours do!

So, I must also tell you that you were heavy on my mind on Sunday. We sang "Your Great Name" at church, and as I stood singing, "Hungry souls receive grace, At the sound of your Name," I could see you and Daniel in the dump feeding those souls with His grace. It's amazing how you are learning so much there, and how our learning through you gives new meaning to many things here too!

You are also reminding me of how silly some of the things that I worry about here in a day are compared to all that you are experiencing and learning! Thank you both for being bold and teaching those there and here about His grace and love!

Have fun teaching - I'm sure they will be "ROARing" before too long!!!!

Love you bunches - The Laughlin's

Post a Comment