Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My 7 year old inspiration ...


The sweetest thing happened yesterday with my precious first graders... and it is moments like this that make my job worth it.  I have seen the Lord move more with this group than ever before.  I know that He has used me to show His love to children that may never see it anywhere else.  I have three very special boys that have the love of the Lord in their hearts – and it has been amazing to see them be so bold for Christ even at such a young age! 
We came back to school yesterday from Spring Break.  I always take the time to allow students to share about their time off what they did, who was with them, and what they thought about it.  Two of my boys came back talking about Easter, Jesus, and the Passion play that they attended at their church.  They talked about how it was so good and they saw that Jesus died for us on the cross.
One of my other little guys said, “Well Mrs. Peal, I had a hard time sleeping last night.  I knew that Jesus died on the cross but yesterday at church I learned that we put him on the cross.”  As he was saying this, his little eyes filled up with tears and he said, “It made me feel so sad that I couldn’t sleep.”  I was speechless – it was silent for a brief moment in my classroom … until the other two boys spoke back up and said that it was OK because Jesus did this because He loved us so much.

This moment filled my heart and opened my eyes.  The Bible tells us that we should have faith like a child and that was more real to me today than ever before.  The Lord revealed to me that I need to be more like this little seven year old so moved and touched that WE put Him on the cross that it keeps me up.  It should stir us so much that we can’t shake it. 

Later in the day, I could tell that this little fella was still having a tough time thinking about Jesus dying for us ... so I called him to my table while everyone was working.  I asked him what was bothering him ... and that opened up a whole new can of worms.  When I asked what was bothering him, he said...
"I was wondering over break how bunnies and candy got into the Easter situation.  I don't understand why people make Easter about that Mrs. Peal.  So I was thinking that I want to share the story of Jesus with everyone.  I want to put crosses everywhere so that people know the real meaning of Easter.  If it makes people mad, they might put me in jail .. but I would still tell others about Jesus.  I would even die on a cross for Jesus if I had to.  I love him that much!"

I sat in awe as I listened to this little guy poor out his heart - and ideas on how to spread the story and Good News of Jesus.

"I want to put my story about Jesus on the news."
I asked him how I could help him– and he said, “Well, maybe you could start doing lessons here at school about Jesus.  You could teach the kids about Him and they could go home and tell their moms and dads about Him”.
I sat still and quiet as I listened to him give me ideas for lessons … and I said, “Isaac, if it were up to me … I would teach about Jesus all day. But the schools do not allow us to teach about him
In that moment, I watched Isaac put his head down in his hands and start to cry … which made me cry along with him. How precious to see the hurt and love in his eyes as he was moved to tears because we can not teach others about Jesus … I asked him why he was crying and he said, “because I love him so much – anything like that just breaks my heart”
I could not believe my ears. Here is this child - 7 years old - and he gets it. He really does. What keeps me from getting it that much? NOTHING should keep me from being as passionate and bold as my sweet little friend. He hurts because we can not tell others about Jesus and His love for us ... WOW. I have not met anyone else in my life with such a real understanding and grasp of what our Savior has done for us - and such a strong desire for others to know Him.
My heart has been changed and I have been moved so much from this moment!

Lord, make me more like a child when it comes to my relationship with you. You ARE my Father – allow me to be your daughter and little girl – without letting this world get in the way. Empty me of myself– so that I am filled only by you. Allow me to look at you with the marvel of a child … and allow me to humble myself to be more like my precious friend, Isaac.
Matthew 18: 4 Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment